Saturday, November 26, 2011

Turkey Day!

24 Nov 2011

As with Tuesday and Wednesday, I continued teaching my students about Thanksgiving and doing the traditional hand turkeys.

Once again, I want to share a few cute/hilarious anecdotes of my students' reactions to Thanksgiving.

"Did that really happen?" Yes. The story of the Pilgrims and the Native Americans is mostly true--with just some factual liberties taken. And, of course, not mentioning the genocide that would follow.

"Where did you learn that story?" In school. A long time ago, when I was a kid, we were taught the story of Thanksgiving every year.

"This is the best day of English class ever!" I'm glad that hand turkeys and Thanksgiving coloring pages are that exciting.

"Thank you for a good life." I was asking my students to list off the things that they were thankful for and this was one of the most touching.

With some students, I did a Thanksgiving acrostic poem. The idea was that they should write the word "Thanksgiving" vertically. For each letter, they should write a word or phrase that starts with that letter and that they are thankful for. For the letter "V," one student wrote "vultures." For "K," a couple students wrote "king." For "G," a student wrote "good football." 

"I wish we had Thanksgiving in Spain! I want to eat turkey and pie!"  

2 comments:

  1. How fun! I'm so glad that you could share some of the tradition with them. Did you get to eat any turkey? I don't ever recall having turkey in Spain......

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually couldn't find a whole turkey. Also, none of us have ever made a turkey so we decided chickens was probably a better bet.

    ReplyDelete