Thursday, November 3, 2011

All Saints' Day

1 Nov 2011

While November 1st isn't a holiday in the United States, in Spain, it's a festival day for All Saints' Day. For this reason, today we didn't have school, and most shops were closed.

On All Saint's Day, families in Spain visit the cemetery to go to the graves of their loved ones. Typically, people will take the time to clean off the grave and leave flowers for the deceased.

Special pastries are also made. In a bakery in Murcia, I saw huesos de santos (saint bones)--which are made out of marzipan and cream.

I find this festival interesting when compared to the general attitude toward death in the US. I feel like the subject is taboo in the States, and we try to avoid the topic because it makes us uncomfortable. I'm not sure how many people visit the graves of their loved ones, but there isn't really a special day in the US where it would be traditional to do so. My family has a tradition of visiting and tending the family graves over Memorial Day, but I wouldn't say that this is necessarily very typical of most American families.

However, from what I've observed/learned about aspects of Spanish culture, there is a greater awareness (or perhaps I should say sensitivity) of death in Spain. Take for example bullfighting. When the bullfighter stands before the bull, he is confronting (the possibility of) death head on. Nothing but his skill and athleticism can prevent the bull from killing him.

No comments:

Post a Comment