Tuesday, November 22, 2011

A less than optimistic outlook...

21 Nov 2011

Yesterday, Spain elected a new Prime Minister--Rajoy. Rajoy, has promised to bring about change in this country stricken by unemployment and debt. Forty percent of young people in Spain are unemployed. A truly staggering figure.

Nevertheless, I feel that, in light of yesterday's elections, Spain has some hope. There will have to be some drastic changes, but Rajoy is prepared to make them.

However, when I look to my own country, I feel less hopeful. In fact, I'm downright disgusted.

I, like many other Americans, have heard that Congress's Supercommittee was "unable" to reach a compromise on budget cuts. A committee that was supposed to be made of "moderates" couldn't come to an agreement. Really? Do they need a refresher on what compromise means? It means that everyone gives a little FOR THE GOOD OF OUR COUNTRY, and no one ends up 100% happy.

Democrats are pointing fingers at Republicans. Republicans are blaming Democrats. Then, everyone takes the chance to blame Obama--for good measure. In other words, our country's representatives are acting like children. They sound exactly like my 1st graders when they tattle to me about what someone else did (when they also did the same thing).

They won't admit that each and every one of them (Republican, Tea Partier, Democrat, Independent...) is at fault. None of them are accurately representing their constituents. No American wants to see the way that our country is crumbling before our eyes.  

 And now, Congress is trying to stop the automatic cuts from going into effect.

I'm ashamed.

How can I be proud of my country, mi patria, when our representatives squabble over their differences at the cost of our country?

I know this post isn't exactly related to Spain or my teaching experience, but I feel a great sadness in watching the downward spiral of our country...



No comments:

Post a Comment