Monday, November 14, 2011

Feria

13 Nov 2011

Today, another Fulbrighter and I headed up to the northern part of the city--called San Vicente de Raspeig--for a feria--fair.

At the fair, there were different stands selling things like books, food, clothing, and industrial items. We stopped at a couple of stands, but of course, I was a little more interested in the delicious food waiting. There were stands with different cheeses, meats, and a stand with Asturian desserts (yum!). There were also a number of stands selling artisan quality turrón.  

I've found that turrón is sort of difficult to describe accurately. It's a nougat made of honey, sugar, egg white, and almonds. It's really rich--so you wouldn't want to eat very much of it at a time. There are various types of turrón--some with almonds and others with chocolate. It's traditionally consumed around Christmas; however, in Alicante, you can get it whenever you like. Lots of ice cream places have a turrón-flavored ice cream!

I've been waiting to buy turrón since I arrived in Alicante! I had a friend tell me this summer that the best turrón he'd ever eaten had been from Alicante. So, of course, I was curious about this sweet.

Today, I got to try a couple different kinds--so that I could pick out the best kind! While I only bought one brick of turrón today, I plan to buy a few more to send home for the holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment