Thursday, November 17, 2011

Circumlocution...

15 Nov 2011

Circum "around" + locution "speak" --> circumlocution "speaking around"

As any person who has studied a foreign language can attest, there are numerous occasions when you want to convey some thought, but you don't know the word for a key part of what you want to say. That's when your ability to explain the word you are looking for becomes really important.

For example, when I was discussing the current political and economical situation in the US to some of the teachers at school, I could remember the word for "budget." I explained that the word that I wanted to use meant the money that the government decides to give to different departments and programs for the year. While this explanation wasn't as elegant as actually knowing and using the word "budget," it gets the point across.

I've noticed that a number of the older students are relying a lot on Spanish or asking for each word they want. It's good that they ask when they don't know a word. However, often if they reframed their sentence, they could use what they already know to express themselves.

In order to get them thinking about this and give them a little bit of practice, I did a circumlocution activity with some 5th graders. I had them all write down two words--in English or in Spanish. Then, they each took turns trying to explain the word in English--using a mixture of English and gestures.

It was tough for them, but I think it challenged them in a way they needed to be challenged! One student tried to describe "notebook," saying "You write with pen and pencil," "paper," and then did a gesture like a book opening and closing.

I know they thought that the activity was hard and a little strange, but I explained to them that this is how the real world works. I don't know every word in Spanish, and a lot of the Spaniards I meet don't know English. So circumlocution is how I get by when I don't know a word for something. I can't just say, "¿Cómo se dice budget en español?"

I'm planning on trying to do this sort of exercise for the first 5 minutes of each class. I think with time they will find it easier.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment