Sunday, November 20, 2011

Linguistic sidenote...

19 Nov 2011

Today was a mostly uneventful day--so I've decided to share some linguistic tidbits instead!

cita con las urnas--literally: date with the urns. It means "vote."

chuches--this is probably my new favorite word. :) It's used to refer to sweets--specifically, the type of sweets that you go to a candy store to get. Typically, you go to the candy store, get a bag, and fill it with as many chuches as you'd like. 

Jesús--I was corrected earlier this week on how to say "bless you." I had always heard that you are supposed to say, "Salud" (health). However, one of my host teachers told me that you should say, "Jesús," and that "Salud" is used in Mexico.

pradera--prairie. I'm entirely sure of this word's roots, but it would seem to be related to the word prado which means "meadow" or "field."

medias--word that is used to refer to leggings and tights. It literally means "half."

calabacín--zucchini; however, the first time I encounter the word, I assumed it meant "squash" because the word seems like it's related to the word for pumpkin (calabaza). 

No comments:

Post a Comment