Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Mission Accomplished!

7 Nov 2011

After months (two months) of writing about the NIE (the identity card for foreigners), I have finally gotten it! I didn't even have too many problems.

I woke up a little bit earlier this morning so I could get to the police station before the big rush at 10-ish. I only had a small issue with the bus. I was conflicted about where I should catch the bus. There was a stop pretty close to my apartment and the stop that I took last time (that takes you a little farther in the route). While I was reading the map, an old Spanish man asked if I needed help. I explained that I was trying to decide if I should walk up to the other stop or just catch the bus there. He convinced me that it was just as well to catch it there. Little did I know that the end of the line was just two stops in when you catch the bus there. So I had to get off the bus, and get back on the bus ten minutes later.

I wouldn't have been so mad about this if where I had to get off hadn't been within easy walking distance of my apartment.

Once I got on the bus again, everything was smooth sailing (about time!). I got to the police station, and there was only one person in front of me. I waited all of two minutes and it was my turn. The man handed me my NIE, and I was done.

I only had a small moment of panic when I looked at the expiration date. It said 04/09/2012. For an American, this date reads: April 9th, 2012. However, in Europe, this date is: September 4th, 2012. So I just had a moment in which I forgot which way the date was supposed to be read because I go back and forth between which way I write it.

Regardless, I have my NIE and I'm set until September!

No comments:

Post a Comment