Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Birthdays

28 Nov 2011

Yesterday, one of my roommates and I got together to make a birthday cake for our third roommate. We made a delicious cake that my mom usually makes for my birthday! It's a chocolate cake that has chocolate chips in it. Then, to make it MORE decadent, you can add chocolate frosting on top! Since it has pudding mix in it, it's super moist and delicious!

In light of this occasion, I've learned a lot about birthday customs here in Spain--which are surprisingly very different.

In the United States, it's typical for families to hold birthday parties for their kids. On this occasion, parents will invite the child's friends and classmates to their house or some other venue. However, as we get older, it's more common for friends to treat the birthday boy or girl on his or her birthday. At least for me, I usually will make a special meal or bake a cake for my friends in the US on their birthday.

However, in Spain, the birthday boy or girl is the one who treats his or her friends. So if a group of friends goes out for dinner and drinks for someone's birthday, the birthday boy or girl is the one who usually pays.

My Italian roommate will be making a special dinner for us on Tuesday night to celebrate her birthday. This feels so backwards to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment