Friday, March 30, 2012

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day...

20 March 2012

Unfortunately, rather than writing about culture, language, or teaching, this post is going to turn into a bit of a rant. Somehow, days off from school inevitably lead to "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days..."

The day got off to a bad start even before it really began. I woke up to find that it was raining. This was surprising because Alicante only gets an average of 20 days of rain all year. However, it wasn't a light drizzle, a nice spring shower. Nope. It pretty much poured all day.

Now, this would normally be nice--since Alicante really needs the rain. However, it's not so great when you have a broken umbrella.

I have bought two different umbrellas since coming to Spain--both of which broke during my trip to San Sebastian and Bilbao. I haven't gotten around to replacing them because it just doesn't rain that often in Alicante. Once again, this wouldn't be a problem on a normal day, but I also lent my jacket to a friend over the weekend.

So I had to walk around in the rain with a sub par umbrella and a sweatshirt.

 At lunch, I decided to go to one of my favorite cafeterías and got a sandwich and a pastry for dessert. Unfortunately, when I went to pay, I realized that I didn't have my wallet and that I had left it in my other purse--which I used over the weekend. I was mortified! I couldn't believe that I had forgotten my wallet!

Fortunately, this is a cafetería that I go to frequently so I was able to talk to the owner and she is letting me come by tomorrow to pay off my debt. It didn't stop me from feeling extremely embarrassed.

The only bright part of the day was that I managed to send the last of the pen pal letters to the United States. Now we just have to wait for responses--which can't come soon enough! Every class has about 3 or 4 students who ask me EVERYDAY about the letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment