Thursday, March 22, 2012

Language Progress

13 March 2012

As I've been watching my students grow as English speakers, I have also been reflecting on my own progress in speaking Spanish.

Since starting my intercambio (language exchange), I feel that I'm getting more and more comfortable with speaking Spanish. I've been improving my vocabulary--especially in the way of synonyms. The teachers that I meet with each week often share with me different ways to say the same thing--usually because the phrase I'm using is more common in another Spanish-speaking country, it sounds overly formal, or it isn't quite right given the context.

I've been having more conversations in Spanish in which I've felt like I've expressed myself exactly as I wanted without making too many errors. And it's becoming easier to switch between English and Spanish without one or the other suffering overmuch.

That's not to say that it's been all sunshine and daisies.

I'd like to share a song/video that a friend of mine shared with me about the difficulties of speaking Spanish. If you speak Spanish, you'll get a kick out of it. I shared it with the English teacher at school, and I'm pretty sure she liked it even more than I did--probably because she understood more of the jokes without having to look them up.

Furthermore, a friend of mine has written a blog post about linguistic difficulties that she has encountered. She has articulated very well the same sorts of issues that I would have brought up in this post. Check it out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment