Thursday, March 15, 2012

Intercambio--planning a trip

2 March 2012

My spring break trip has gone from being a trip for two to a trip for four! The two teachers I have my intercambio with have decided to come along for the trip--which will go through 4 countries in 10 days.

Two Americans and two Spaniards trekking across Europe... This has the makings of an interesting vacation. I'll be sure to write about it!

In discussing our trip, I talked to them about the passport stamps collecting for Americans. I explained that I was really excited to go to Poland so that the stamp that I received in September "counts." So far, I have stamps for Spain, France, England, Ireland, and Poland. However, since I passed through the airport in Poland, my passport stamp doesn't technically count because I haven't been on Polish soil.

However, within the European Union, EU citizens don't actually need a passport (lucky)--which is the way that it used to be between the United States and Canada and Mexico. Furthermore, EU citizens won't get stamped even if they have their passport because no one receives stamps within the continental EU. So as an EU citizen, you could have visited a ton of countries in the EU but not have a single passport stamp to show for it.

Here's a little of what I learned today:

mensaje--instead of saying texto (text), here it's better to say "mensaje."

puede ser/a lo mejor--options for saying "maybe" instead of quizás.

cateto--hick/redneck

chantaje--bribe

dar la cara--to put yourself on the line. If you recommend someone for a position at your workplace, you put yourself out there for a friend.

mimado--babied. 

No comments:

Post a Comment