Tuesday, December 13, 2011

To San Sebastian!

4 Dec 2011

This morning I felt like I had only one more place that I HAD to visit before leaving Bilbao--Etxebarria Park. The park overlooks the rest of the city. In order to reach the park, you can take the elevator (but that's for sissies) or walk up a ridiculous number of stairs.


















The route by stairs itself is absolutely beautiful! You get a fantastic view of the Casco Viejo and lots of amazing old "stuff" (technical term). Once I reached the park itself, I found a nice bench to take it all in.

However, soon enough, I found myself in the middle of some race! Apparently, that day, runners were racing in the park. They had to make it around the park 5 times! What really surprised me was the demographic of the people racing. There were families, couples (one with their dog), young people, and even a few older people. There was one gentleman who was at least 60 or 70 who I think was running faster for longer than I can--and I'm in my prime!



















Unfortunately, soon it was time for me to make my way to the bus station. I wanted to leave with plenty of time to spare because: A) I'd already gotten lost plenty of times and I didn't want to get lost again and miss my bus. B) My friends here in Spain and I have a history of missing our bus/train.

Thankfully, I got there with no problems and with about an hour to wait. There was an adorable little girl at the bus station who was running in circles around the Christmas tree. She kept singing, "Today is Christmas! Everyone has to celebrate!"

The bus ride to San Sebastian was phenomenal! I know that sounds a little weird, but the Basque countryside is gorgeous. I saw traditional Basque homes--which are really cute. It made me wish I had taken  a day to spend in a Basque pueblo.



Once I arrived in San Sebastian, I thought that I wouldn't have a problem finding my hostel. The amazing thing about San Sebastian is that it has awesome signage. If you can read, you can get where you need to go and know exactly how long it'll take.

I arrived in the Parte Vieja without a problem. Once in the Parte Vieja, I wandered around unable to find my street--Juan de Bilbao. Later, I discovered that it's a "hidden" street. It doesn't go all the way through the Parte Vieja. It's just a single block in the middle of the neighborhood.

Eventually, I got to my hostel and checked in. Before it got dark, I wanted to pasear (Spanish for taking a walk or wandering). I walked along the ocean and stopped by the port to check out the sunset. Where, I was seriously dissed by an old Basque man. He was one of those older gentleman who talk to themselves and try to play with children who aren't their grandchildren.


He passed by me and said, "Y ésta está sola (And this one, she's alone)." Then, he went on to play with a little boy and his train--saying the Spanish equivalent of "This is a train. It goes choo choo."






Later, I found a café to drink something to warm me up. The café was near my hostel and was hopping with Spaniards--which tells you its got to be good if all the locals are there. There were even a bunch of old Spaniards gossiping and playing cards!



No comments:

Post a Comment