Sunday, December 18, 2011

Gingerbread House, Part 1

15 Dec 2011

The moment I've been waiting for all week--time to make a Gingerbread House!

A few weeks ago, I was talking with my American friends here in Alicante about some of the traditional things we do for Christmas.

I was a little sad that I wouldn't be able to make Christmas goodies--like cookies and peppermint bark--with my family. But I got excited about the prospect of making a homemade gingerbread house!

I've made gingerbread houses from kits before but never one from scratch--which I knew would be an adventure here in Spain.

Tonight, I got together with a friend to bake the walls and roof of the house.

Unfortunately, we ran into a few problems along the way.

First, we went to two different supermarkets--asking if they had any molasses. We got a lot of blank stares and a couple "What's that?"

Eventually, we were told we could go to a herbolstería or herb store to get some--which proved easy enough.

Later, we didn't have anything to grind up the cloves--so we added a little and put in a lot of extra cinnamon.

We also decided to make our gingerbread house multicultural--using the best of America and the best of Alicante.

So we decided to to make our doorway into an Arabic arch. Tomorrow, we'll add a few other touches of Alicante!































No comments:

Post a Comment