Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Rain. Rain. Go away...

5 Dec 2011

I woke up this morning ready to take on San Sebastian! In particular, I was excited to go up the mountain for the view and a visit to the castle museum.

Unfortunately, when I opened the door to my hostel, I discovered that it was pouring. I thought that maybe if I walked around for a while it would let up.

So I decided to check out the sculpture called "Empty Construction" by Jorge Oteiza.




About this time, my umbrella broke because of all the wind and rain. I was soaked and miserable and looking for somewhere nearby to go. So I went to one of the only places nearby--the Aquarium. This proved to be more interesting than I had anticipated.












The first part of the museum had exhibits discussing the relationship between the Basque people and the ocean. The Basque people have a long history of fishing and whaling. In fact, there was a time when Basque craftsmen were consulted as experts for ship-building. And Basque sailors traveled as far as Finland and Sweden while hunting whales.





San Sebastian is perhaps most famous for its international film festival. In light of this, I decided that today would be the best day to go to see a movie in order to experience this part of culture in San Sebastian! Plus, it was raining so much that I was just miserable outside anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment