Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Last Day

6 Dec 2011

After yesterday's fiasco with trying to go up the mountain, I was determined that today would be the day that I would see it--especially since today is my last day here in San Sebastian! So I left the hostel and set off for the mountain.

Unfortunately, this wasn't meant to be. As I got closer to the path to go up the mountain, it started to rain harder and harder, and I knew that it just wasn't going to happen.

One side of the arc






However, I DID get to see an amazing rainbow as I passed by the port!

The other side!








So I headed to the San Telmo Museum. This museum is also basically a Basque culture museum.

The first room of the museum focused on the archaeological history of the Basque region. When I walked into the room, the museum employee could tell right away that I was an English speaker and started asking me if I wanted her to explain the exhibit to me in English. This is a fairly common occurrence--people assume that because I look American I must not speak Spanish (although sometimes people just want to practice their English on you). I told her (in Spanish) that I could read in Spanish and I'd let her know if I had any questions.

If you've read my blog, you know that I have an interest in archaeology. I've now been to archaeology museums or exhibits in Alicante, Murcia, and Ronda. Hopefully, I'll add Elche to the list later this year. I was curious how the archaeological finds were different in Basque Country in comparison to the southeast. Basque Country has historically been more isolated.

The museum employee and I ended up having a great conversations about my questions about archaeology in the north. After the Ice Age, the earth began to warm and the seas began to rise. She told me that this meant that there are a lot of prehistoric archaeological finds that will never be excavated because the sites are currently underwater. There are fewer sites for later periods (Neolithic, Bronze, Iron)--when people moved to cave dwellings.  

Later, I wandered around a little and spent some time in my favorite café.

Pond/Garden in front of Constitution Hall

Constitution Hall









No comments:

Post a Comment