Thursday, September 1, 2011

Visa--CHECK!

I have just returned from Chicago with my visa to Spain! It's been a long journey with multiple trips across the country and a few nail-biting moments...
The visa process is a complicated one. It requires a lot of different documents--such as a FBI background check with the Apostille of the Hague, a medical certificate, proof of acceptance and financial means, etc. Some of these documents are fairly easy to get together, but others--like the FBI background check--can take MONTHS to get back.
The visa process to Spain is even more time consuming this year because it is the first year that the FBI background check (with the Apostille of the Hague) is required. For this reason, I started the visa process within days of learning that I had received a Fulbright Fellowship.
To get started on my FBI background check, I went down to the local police station to get finger printed--which I just have to say is extremely interesting! I had visions of it being really old school and that they would get out ink and paper to take my prints, but it turns out most places use computers now. The lady who helped me was kind enough to answer my questions as we went! I learned that I have a little scar on one of my fingers, and I have no idea when I might have gotten it. That same day, I sent my finger print card and my request for an FBI background check. Typically, it takes 8-12 weeks to get a FBI background check back!
When they say that it takes that long, they really mean it! I got my background check back in just under 8 weeks. At which point, I was starting to get a little nervous about whether I would even be able to apply in time to get my visa back before I was supposed to leave for Spain! My problem was that I still had to get the Apostille of the Hague affixed to my document. The Apostille of the Hague is issued by the State Department and I would say that it is sort of an internationally recognized notarization. Unfortunately, it takes more than 4 weeks to get the Apostille if you mail it in!
Consequently, at the beginning of August, I had a whirlwind trip to D.C. (to get the Apostille in person) and then go to Chicago to present my visa documents to the Spanish Consulate. While in D.C., I waited to get the Apostille for 3 hours in the Office of Authentications. I went right at 7:30 AM (when it opens) and I still behind a bunch of people. Apparently, people sometimes get there at 5:30 AM! After getting the Apostille, I decided to do some sight seeing before my evening flight to Minneapolis. I've been to D.C. a couple of times, but I'd never been to any of the Smithsonian museums. So I decided to see the American History Museum. This seemed appropriate since it houses many American cultural artifacts and I'm going to be teaching Spanish students about American culture! I got to see the ruby slippers from the Wizard of Oz, the Star Spangle Banner that inspired Francis Scott Key's song, and the chair set from All in the Family.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment