Sunday, September 18, 2011

Bienvenidos a Alicante! Welcome to Alicante!

10 Sept 2011
I got up early this morning to catch my train to Alicante. At the station, I met up with a former Fulbrighter (who was placed in Alicante last year)! She's going to show the other current Fulbrighter and I around the city--so we'll know the best restaurants and the best places to buy things! I was also able to talk to her about her experiences with Fulbright. It was nice to get some reassurance about some of the things I've worried about.
I absolutely LOVE traveling by train! There is so much more space and a lot less noise. I also love that you can more easily watch the countryside as you travel. Around the city of Madrid, the land is much drier and more desert-like. As we head closer to Alicante, I see fields that remind me a lot of my home state. Here, they grow what I think are olive trees, but I also see rows of some sort of green plants. There is also that tan grass that grows everywhere on the prairie in the United States. Here's a picture from the window of train so you can have an idea of what I'm talking about. This is the first picture I've taken in Spain and the only one for a while since my camera battery died.

In the distance, I can see a controlled burn. Other than the fact that at home there would be corn aplenty growing, this place could almost be home... you know if you squint a little.
Later this afternoon, the other current Fulbrighter and I are going to be looking for apartments. We have a couple appointments to see some pisos (literally: floors; but usually used to say apartment). We're really hoping to find some place in the centro (the center of city and also the oldest part) near the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment