Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sick Day

18 Sept 2011
Just goes to show you that when things finally settle down and you're ready to relax, you always get sick. I'm not sure if my current ailment is just my seasonal allergies or if I've already caught something from the primary school students. Regardless, I decided to take it easy today.
The other Fulbrighter and I went out for a (cheap) lunch at a restaurant on the Calle Mayor. After lunch, we decided to go shopping! Both of us had to admit that neither of us packed the right kind of clothes for the weather in Alicante. As a Midwesterner, I own a lot of clothing more suitable for -20 degrees. However, it is super hot here still--today was probably 92 degrees--and so we need to get some more sundresses. So not only is it hot temperature-wise, but the other factor that makes this weather so hot is that few places have AC. Some stores and restaurants have AC, but I'm actually considered really lucky because my apartment has it.

But what we discovered was that stores are not open on Sundays. Nada. Nothing. Not even the Corte Inglés--which is sort of like a Macy's. So we had to change our plans and we decided to hang out in the park. There is a park called Parque de Canalejas not too far away from the beach. This park has more of the neat trees (I guess they're called banyan trees) that are in my favorite plaza. This plaza also has some cool lion statues guarding the entrance.


No comments:

Post a Comment