Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Me empadroné!

Me empadroné! Today, I've completed the first step in getting my NIE (Foreigner Identity Number)!
As I've explained earlier, the visa that the Consulate in the US issues is only good for three months. After which, you have to go home or you're illegally in Spain. If you plan to stay more than three months, you have to apply for the NIE within a month of entering Spain. First, you must go to a office of empadronamiento (registration) to register that you live at an address in Spain. So I had to take the contract for my apartment with me. In this contract, my landlady verifies that I live in the apartment that I've rented. Lucky for me, the office for empadronamiento is just around the corner from my apartment. And I mean just around the corner. I can actually SEE if there is a line in the office from our balcony!
Next step in the NIE process is to bring all my documents to a meeting at the Office of Foreigners--where I'll be issued my NIE number while my application is processed. I'll share more on this later!
I thought I'd share a few pictures of my apartment so you can see what it looks like!

My room!
the view!

Close up of the view from my window! Hola, mar



1 comment:

  1. Oh Bobbi! I think Tony & I walked down that street last winter. What a perfect location! I can just smell the sea air. mmmmmm

    ReplyDelete