Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Famous!

30 May 2012

Today, with my 6th grade classes, we played a game that I'm temporarily calling "Famous!" I don't really like the name, and I'm hoping I'll think of something a little catchier soon!

For this game, I wrote down a list of famous people on a sheet of paper. I tried to write down a variety of people as well as names of people that the kids would know. I picked actors/actresses, sports players, politicians (like Obama), inventors, scientists, singers, etc. I cut the names out into individual slips or paper.

I divided the class into two teams. One person from each team had to go to the board to write. I read the name of the famous person, and they had to write a sentence saying why the person is famous--using the past tense.

I reviewed all sorts of verbs with them before playing. However, we mostly ended up with "He was a famous ______." So I think next time I'll make a rule that they can't repeat verbs.

There were also people that I took for granted that the kids would know (or would know based on my American pronunciation) like Charles Dickens, Thomas Edison, Mozart.

No comments:

Post a Comment