Thursday, June 21, 2012

End of the Year Lunch!

1 June 2012

Since today is the 1st of June, the school day has officially become shorter! Instead of having class from 9 AM to 12:30 PM and 3:30 PM to 5 PM, we now just have classes from 9 AM to 1 PM. The Comunidad Valenciana  is the only community in all of Spain to have this odd schedule change. However, the director at my school is hoping that this will change next year, and they'll have the same, continuous schedule all year. 

In order to take advantage of the shorter school day, we had the teacher's end of the year lunch. As always, it was really fun to get together with all of the teachers to eat delicious food!

Of course, one of the main topics of conversation was the upcoming Hogueras (Fogueres in Valencian) which is the holiday celebrated for the feast day of Saint John.

I mentioned to a small group of teachers that I have a secret dream of wearing one of the traditional dresses that girls wear for this holiday. It's been my shameful secret all year since I saw one of these dresses at the Hogueras museum. I just love the skirts on the dresses--they're like bells that sway back and forth!

News travels quick. Not even two minutes after I had said this, another teacher from across the room approached me and was telling me how they were going to make this happen for me. I guess the idea of the americana in the traditional alicantina dress was something everyone wanted to see.

Over the course of the lunch, this became the inside joke.

One teacher told me that in order to wear the alicantina dress I was going to have to master a few skills. First, she asked if I had the wave down--so I showed her my best princess/Barbie wave. Then, she asked about my hips movement. I assured her that I could swing my hips and twirl the skirt of the dress to make it look like a bell. Lastly, she asked me if I knew the art of using a fan. Shamefully, I had to admit I didn't know how to use a fan and another teacher was "enlisted" to instruct me.

I'm not sure if I'll actually get the opportunity to wear one of these dresses, but I know that the teachers are doing their best to make that dream happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment