Monday, May 21, 2012

What to talk about during a language exchange (intercambio)...


3 May 2012

One of the best features of Blogger is that you can see what search terms people have used to find your blog. Intercambios and what to talk about during an intercambio has come up a number of times so I thought maybe I should take a post to address this issue.

If you are looking for a language exchange partner, there are various ways to go about doing it.

First, you can let the people you are working with/studying with know that you are looking for someone. The grapevine works pretty well. Both of the groups of people I am doing an exchange with found me through people we know in common.

You can also look for posters at the university. Usually, there are places where people will put postings for language exchange partners.

Also, there are websites that help to facilitate finding a language partner. I haven't used any of these websites, but I have a friend who used Tus Clases Particulares here in Spain.

I'm by no means an expert on intercambios (language exchanges), but I'll share a few pieces of advice based on my experience.


  1. Formal versus Informal. An intercambio can be as formal or informal as you want it to be. If you don't want to share your life story with your exchange partner, you shouldn't feel obligated to do so. However, finding out the things that you have in common can be a great way to make friends--which is nice in a foreign city.
  2. Topics of Conversation. Conversations about interests is a great way to get to know someone and cover a wide range of vocabulary. Ask about favorite movies, books, sports, music, hobbies, etc. You can also talk about current events. It's an interesting way to learn a bit more about how people feel about what's going on in the country. 
  3. Culture. An intercambio is also a great time to ask all your burning questions about culture--if you think your exchange partner is open to it. It's nice to have someone who is learning just like you and who is curious just like you. It makes it easier to ask questions that you are afraid might offend someone if you ask them the wrong way. 
  4. Colloquial phrases. It's also a great time to ask questions about colloquial phrases or the ways in which people really use language. You already know that what you've been taught in school about Spanish (French, Arabic, German, etc...) isn't always exactly how real people use the language. Now is your opportunity to find out! 
  5. Weaknesses. Everyone has one (or two. or three) in their second language. I confess that I sometimes have problems using subjunctive and preterite/imperfect in Spanish. My exchange partner and I are finding ways to incorporate them into conversation so I have more of an opportunity to practice them with someone who can give me feedback.
  6. Change it up! Sometimes it's nice to change the location where you have your intercambio because it will help you expand you vocabulary. I've had meetings in cafés and restaurants. We've gone to the mall to shop. I went with my exchange partners on a trip. You can go to museums and exhibitions in your city. There are a million things that you can do--so keep it interesting by doing different things!

No comments:

Post a Comment