Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Geek Central Edinburgh Scotland

21 April 2012

I woke up early this morning in order to get the most out of my day at Edinburgh's castle. When I walked the short distance up the hill to the castle, I found that a number of people had the same idea as me and I ended up waiting a while in line... but while I was waiting I found out some interesting information.

It turned out that it was fortunate that I visited the castle today--as today is the Queen´s birthday--or at least one of them! I guess the Queen gets to have two birthdays each year because she´s the Queen, and we peons only get one.


Since it was the Queen´s brithday, there was a special 21-gun salute in honor of her 86th birthday. I also got to see a military band in all of their kilted splendor. 

Before the 21-gun salute, I walked through the Scottish War History Museum which is located inside Edinburgh Castle. The Scottish people have a long and proud military history. They were (and still are) respected for their military skill and bravery. For centuries, the Scottish people resisted English rule and sought to maintain their independence through the leadership of men such as William Wallace and Robert the Bruce. However, in 1707, under the Treaty of the Union, the Scottish army and navy officially became part of Great Britain's military. Since then, Scottish regiments have proved instrumental in many major conflicts--including the Napoleonic Wars, World War I and II, etc. Yesterday, I also came across a plaque honoring the Scottish soldiers who were part of the International Brigades--which we strictly volunteer--that fought with the Republicans in Spain against fascism. 



Like several hills in the area, Edinburgh Castle was built on the site of an old volcano. This presented the castle with some advantages, but also with some disadvantages. Defense-wise, the castle is in a strategic position such that it can only be approached from one side where the slope is steep. However, the rock below the castle is basalt-- which is not conducive to getting water to the castle.  This was problematic during periods when there were sieges. 




As I continued to explore the castle, I saw St. Margaret's Chapel--which was built in honor of David I's mother. I also saw the crown jewels and the Stone of Scone--also known as the Stone of Destiny. Historically, this stone has been used in the crowning of Scottish kings. It has been stolen in the past--though some claim that Scottish monks buried the original stone to protect it from the British so the current stone may not even be the real one.

Next, I saw the Royal Apartments-including the chamber where the future king of England AND Scotland James I was born. The rooms were obviously royal, but they weren't overdone. After seeing the overly ostentatious palaces of the Hapsburgs, this was a welcome change.

 After wandering around the castle for nearly 4 hours, I was ready for a change of scenery. My plan was to walk directly to Arthur's Seat. However, I got distracted as I walked by the wool mill. It had a small exhibit featuring a little of the history of the tartan and Scottish clothing over the centuries. You could dress up in these costume for a photo! If they hadn't been so expensive, I definitely would have done it.
A view of the path known as Radical Road
which leads up to Arthur's Seat




After that short detour, I made it to the bottom of Arthur's Seat. Arthur's Seat is a natural rock formation caused by volcanic eruptions. It's no longer an active volcano, and over the course of millions of years glaciers have given Arthur's Seat its current form. It's one of the highest points in Edinburgh at around 900 feet.








A look back at the path that I walked.

I'm not sure if the photo does it justice, but Arthur's Seat is one of the most beautiful places I've been to!

There are various paths leading up to the top. Radical Road is one of those paths. Walter Scott--the writer--thought it would be a good idea to employ out-of-work people for the construction of this path. It was sort of like the WPA projects in the US during the Great Depression.

I took the path that passes by the loch--or lake. It's kind of a trek up to the top. It's not really a very difficult trail at first, but near the top there isn't really much of a path.
This is a view from about halfway through the hike.
The tiny specks are people at the top!


Of course, once I reached the top, as Scotland is wont to do, it started to rain. This made it kind of tricky to climb down. However, I did get into a conversation with a Scottish family as they too began their descent. It was fun to hear their perspective on the experience.






Me at the top of Arthur's Seat just before it started to rain!
























No comments:

Post a Comment