Sunday, May 20, 2012

No School! European Union Labor Day!

1 May 2012

Today, we don't have school since it is European Union Labor Day. I had a long weekend (4 days) and considered going on a trip since this is the last long weekend I have until we finish at the end of June. However, after traveling EVERY SINGLE weekend in April, I decided that I deserved a little bit of a break.

However, it does make me sad to know that I'm missing May Day in the US. I know that not all parts of the States have special May Day traditions, but in my town, we make May Day baskets. We take these baskets to our friends houses, ring their doorbell, leave basket, and run. If the person catches you, according to tradition, you have to kiss each other.

Instead of celebrating May Day, I went with my friends out to eat. We ended up going to a terrible place. We had probably the worst service that I've ever had here in Spain. We ended up waiting forty minutes before anyone would even take our order. We did get fed up and tried to pay for our drinks and leave, but they promised that it would just be a moment before someone took our order. The food wasn't that great either.

Later, I had an intercambio (language exchange) with a new partner. It was super interesting because I've found that we talk about different topics than I talk about with the two teachers from my school. It also gives me another perspective. Not everyone uses the same vocabulary or speaks in the same way so it's nice to have a variety of experiences.

I learned a few of the following phrases:

ponerse las botas--to eat a ton

vas a tu bola--do your own thing

pan comido--It's as easy as pie or it's a piece of cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment