Friday, April 6, 2012

Semana Santa: Easter treats!

3 April 2012

Today was filled with the partaking of delicious Easter treats!



During the break for lunch, I went to a panadería in order to buy some torrijas--my last real opportunity before Easter is over. They can also be eaten during the regular part of the year as a special breakfast treat, but I don't think it's terribly common. Torrijas are sort of similar to French toast or bread pudding, but with more honey and cinnamon. Yum!






At school, the directora (principal) stopped me in the hall to give me my very own Easter mona. The mona is traditionally eaten on Easter Sunday or Monday. People go with their families on an excursión to the country, the beach, the castle, or a park to eat this treat.

There are two types of monas. The one to the left which has an egg in the middle and the one below which is the same but without an egg.









According to tradition, children take the egg from the mona and they break it on the foreheads of other children--which hurts and makes the poor kid feel like an idiot.

We ate my mona tonight since I'm not going to be around on Easter Sunday or Easter Monday, and I wanted to have the chance to share the mona with my friends here. Thankfully, the hard-boiled egg just got eaten, and no one ended up with a sore forehead! Though there were maybe a few sore tummies since we ate quite a lot of the mona!




No comments:

Post a Comment