Saturday, April 7, 2012

American Treats!

4 April 2012

Today turned out to be like Christmas in April for me!

First, I received a package from the United States from my aunt with some Easter goodies--but not just any treats! I got Girl Scout cookies, holiday M&Ms, my favorite tea, and some other assorted candies. It was really excited to get some American products that I just can't get here! Now to figure out how to not eat them all at once!

We also received our first packet of pen pal letters. Since today is our last day before spring break, I wanted to at least give the kids an opportunity to see there letters. They were so excited! I took some pictures of their faces as they read their letters. I wish that I could share them here, but unfortunately I can't.

Instead, I'll share a few of my favorite highlights from the American letters.

 Check out this letter! I love this kid because: a) he's heard of Spain before (which can be impressive for a 3rd grader in the United States); b) he's made the connection between the fact that the letter he received is from Spain and his favorite basketball player is Spanish.

Thank you, sports, for teaching kids geography!








Speaking of sports, I saw a number of letters that tried to teach my Spanish kids about sports in America. Some of the letters taught the difference between soccer and football. This one talks about football, xbox, and fishing.



We also had some letters that dealt with pop culture. These letters asked kids if they knew who Justin Bieber and Big Time Rush were. They explained that they were singers. Little do the American children know that the Spanish kids watch a lot of American TV dubbed in Spanish. So I'm sure there will be some great conversations that come out of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment