Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sweetland Role Play

9 February 2012

I continued the role playing activity from last week. If you haven't read the post, I'll give you a quick recap. In order to motivate my kids to speak more English, we invented an English town named Sweetland. We wrote a description of it, drew a map, made rules, and chose characters--mostly in English.

Today, I set the scene for the role play.

It's their first day in Sweetland and they don't know anyone. So they need to talk to other students and find out who they are and what they're like.

I was worried that I was going to need to give them a lot of guidance. However, once they got started, they really went with it!

They asked each other about their hobbies. The witch said that she does bad things. The pilot said that he fights superheroes. The firefighter tries to stop the witch.

They got into a HUGE argument (IN ENGLISH!!!) about the last part.

Firefighter: I stop the potions of the witch. No more magic.
Witch: I go to other town in sweet truck and magic return.
Firefighter: I go too and stop you.
Witch: My cat eats your sweet truck.
Firefighter: No! I rob your truck.

Later, the pilot asked me how to say "socio" in English. "Socio" means business partner, but I gave them the word "sidekick."

Pilot: Do you want to be my sidekick?
Witch: I don't know. I need to think about it.

When the conversation started to wane a little, I decided to create some sort of conflict. I told them that one of them ate the Apple Palace and the Gingerbread Houses. Oh no!

I HAD planned on them having to defend themselves and say why they DIDN'T do it. However, before I could say anything, they all tried to claim credit for it!

So I had them all write a short summary of the reasons why they did it. Next week, they will share these reasons and later debate.

Picture of the Day: 


Granada, Spain



No comments:

Post a Comment