Thursday, February 2, 2012

Learning new words: English Edition

26 Jan 2012

I didn't realize when I came to Spain that in addition to working on my Spanish I would also be learning more English.

While Americans and British people both speak English, there are a number of differences in vocabulary--some of which may cause unfortunate misunderstandings.

Classical differences would be:

British: rubber                                        American:  eraser
British: teddy                                         American:  teddy bear
British: trousers                                      American:  pants
British: pants                                          American:  underwear
British: trainers                                       American:  tennis shoes

Today, I learned a new ENGLISH word.

My second graders are learning about clothes. So the teacher was having students describe what other students were wearing. I heard the teacher say that one of the boys was wearing a "jumper" which caused me to do a double-take.

In the United States, a "jumper" is another word for a dress. It typically has no sleeves and is worn over another shirt. Usually, it's kind of frumpy.

Obviously, this boy was not wearing an American jumper. So I tried to figure out what the teacher was pointing at--his sweater or his polo. After she pointed out that a number of students were wearing jumpers, I realized that a jumper was a sweater.

Next, I was confronted with the use of the word "jersey."

In my experience, a jersey is worn as part of a sports uniform.

Today, I learned that in England it can refer to a sweater or another top (made of cotton or wool) that doesn't have an opening at the front.

Picture of the Day: 


In Elche (Elx in Valencian), city of palm trees!



No comments:

Post a Comment