Friday, February 3, 2012

Intercambio. The saga continues...

27 Jan 2012

After school, I had my second intercambio (language exchange) with two of the teachers from preschool.

We met at a cafetería near the school and talked for nearly 2.5 hours! We spoke about 1.5 in Spanish and an hour in English.

I learned a TON! They taught me some vulgar phrases--which are too inappropriate for this blog.

I also learned some words that will allow me to sound more natural. Apparently, there are some things that I say that are technically correct but sound a little weird.

Here's a taste of what I learned:

antecedentes penales--background check. I know it sounds strange that we talked about this, but I was explaining the visa process--which requires a FBI background check.

tardar--instead of saying "toma tiempo" (it takes time), it's better to say tarda tiempo.

aparentar--to seem; it can be used to say "You don't seem that old."

cometer errores--it's better to say this phrase instead of "hacer errores"

poner las pilas--literally "put in batteries." It means to inspire. As in, after speaking in English, I feel inspired to study.


Picture of the Day: 

Bilbao, Spain on a gray, misty morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment