Thursday, February 9, 2012

Friday Language Exchange

3 February 2012

As has now become our custom, two of the preschool teachers and I met after school to practice my Spanish and their English.

This week, I brought homemade chocolate chip cookies that I made the previous day with my roommate. Since I bought vanilla extract in Jávea, I finally felt like I could do chocolate chip cookies justice... sort of.

They didn't end up turning out exactly the way that I wanted them to. This could have been due to a number of factors--starting with the brown sugar. The brown sugar I bought wasn't exactly like brown sugar in the States. The composition seemed different. I couldn't pack it down to measure it. Instead, the brown sugar was more like sugar that just happened to be darker.

As always, the oven could have been an issue. It burned the edges of one batch of cookies.

However, the teachers loved "los cookies"--in spite of these issues. I learned that chocolate chip cookies here can be called just "los cookies."

This week I learned some of the following words:

blando/a--this means soft. As in the best kind of cookies are the soft kind.

cateta/o--redneck or hick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment