Thursday, January 5, 2012

Luxembourg

26 Dec 2011

This morning, I got up ridiculously early so that I could catch the train going to Luxembourg! The train ride was a quiet 3 hour train ride, but it gave me time to plan out what I wanted to do in Luxembourg.

Upon arriving in Luxembourg, I decided that I was tired and didn't want to waste time getting lost on my way to my hostel so I took a taxi. A good thing too! Navigating around Luxembourg City is really tricky because a valley runs through the center of the city--dividing the historical part from the more modern part.

The hostel I stayed at--the Luxembourg City Hostel--was the mother of all hostels. It was huge and built almost like a hotel!

With a fellow hostel guest, we explored the city--taking in the sites and the beauty of the valley.


Unfortunately, one of the sites I was most excited to see--Bock Casemates--is closed this time of year. This is the site where--according to legend--Count Siegfried built his castle in 963. It was around this castle that the city of Luxembourg was built. Throughout history, different countries have fought for control of its fortifications. However, in 1867, it was mostly demolished as part of the Treaty of London--which ensured Luxembourg's neutrality.

What remains today are the casemates. During World War II, the casemates were used as a bomb shelter--holding up to 35,000 people!











Next, we explored the historical center--checking out the Grand Ducal Palace, the Place d'Armes, and Gelle Fra.

Gelle Fra (Golden Lady in Luxembourgish) is the monument that was created to honor the people who volunteered to serve in World War I and World War II



















We even walked down into the valley. The path was really steep, and there were signs that said "use at your own peril." That didn't stop us though!










No comments:

Post a Comment