Friday, January 20, 2012

Adventures in English

20 Jan 2012

Continuing with a theme from yesterday's blog post, I wanted to write about how impressed I am with my students this week!

I've noticed that they are starting to use more English with me--without forcing it out of them.

Yesterday, a group of 6th grade girls passed me in the hall and asked, "How are you?"

I told them that I was good and that it was Thursday--almost the weekend.

They replied, "I like the weekend. It's my favorite."

Today, we expanded on this conversation.

Once again, they approached me and asked, "How are you?"

I said that I was doing pretty good and asked them the same question.

To which, they replied, "Fine. It's Friday! Almost the weekend!"

Me: "I know! I'm so excited! Do you sleep in on the weekend? I usually sleep until 11 o'clock."

6th grade student: "No. I wake up at 9 o'clock. Saturday's my favorite day. I don't like Sunday."

Me: "Why?"

6th grade student: "Next day I have school."

I was so pleased to have them speaking to me in English--especially in the hallway where students don't really think about speaking to me in English!    

No comments:

Post a Comment