Friday, January 6, 2012

Altea

29 Dec 2011

Of course, I couldn't really spend a few days resting in Alicante before I leave for my next adventure.

One of my American friends in Alicante had a friend visiting from the States, and I tagged along for their trip to Altea.

Altea is a small town north of Alicante. It took us about 90 minutes to get there by TRAM. The town isn't known for much other than it's picturesque beach and La Mare de Déu del Consol (Our Lady of Solace)--which is famous for it's beautiful blue domes.









































Near the Cathedral, we came across this little poem in the tile below the street name.

In English, it says:
"Tourist, you that through curiosity
roams our planet,
Stop, and climb up to this square,
which is the crown of Altea,
and from the balcony
at the edge of your table,
you will see a field of Eden
near the slender Bernia*,
and you will believe you've seen a piece
of Heaven here on Earth.
Perhaps, you will tire of climbing
But it's worth the pain!

 *Bernia is a mountain that can be seen from Altea.





























After checking out Altea, we headed back to Alicante around sunset. We sat next to the most adorable Spanish family.


I learned a Spanish clapping game. It goes: 


"Soy capitán,
soy capitán
de un barco inglés 
y en cada puerto
tengo una mujer.
La rubia es 
fenomenal, 
Y la morena 
tampoco está mal.

Si alguna vez
me he de casar,
me casaré
con la que me guste más."



I'm captain
I'm captain
of an English ship
and in every port
I have a woman.
The blonde is 
phenomenal 
and the brunette 
also isn't bad.


If someday
I have to marry,
I'll marry
the one that I like more.

No comments:

Post a Comment