Sunday, October 2, 2011

My cooking adventure begins...

29 Sept. 2011
Today was a largely uneventful day at my school. Telling students that yes, they needed to stop __________ (insert: hitting, touching, poking) each other. Or, there's no need to have __________ (insert: scissors, markers, crayons) out because it's time to pay attention to the teacher. Lastly, no you can't go to the restroom. You and your friend ask me every day. I wasn't born yesterday. I know you want to go together so you can chat.
Our school schedule changes starting next week. During September and June, students go to school from 9 AM to 1 PM. From October to May, school starts at 9 AM and goes to 12:30 PM. Then, there is a three hour break for lunch. Classes recommence at 3:30 PM and go until 5 PM.
Given the fact that the schedule is going to change, today was one of my last days to go to the beach in the afternoon on a week day! For this reason, after lunch, I went with the other Fulbrighter to the beach for a couple hours. The weather today was perfect for the beach! It was pretty cloudy--which meant that I wasn't quite as worried about getting burned (I still wore sun screen). The weather was also just a little bit cooler--making the beach much more bearable for a longer period of time.
However, at 6 PM, I had to go back to my apartment to meet up with my German roommates for a cooking adventure! I've made it my goal to spend some time learning how to cook while here in Spain. I know how to cook a lot of very basic things--like tacos, quesadillas, sandwiches, pastas, sloppy joes, etc. I just haven't spent a lot of time learning how to cook other things. Since I only work 16 hours a week, I figure it's time to learn.
When I got back to my apartment, the Germans and I looked for a recipe online. I thought we might cook something from Germany, but we decided to find a Valencian recipe. We ended up finding a recipe for Arroz con pollo (rice with chicken)! We made a list of the ingredients and made our way to Mercadona (the supermarket)!
After picking up the ingredients, it was time to start cooking! We soon discovered that the recipe was sadly lacking in information about the amounts we needed to use of the different ingredients. We were successfully able to guess with most of the ingredients. Here's a picture of the final product:


I really liked the recipe--though I might be a little biased! It was pretty simple and straightforward.

No comments:

Post a Comment