Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween begins

25 Oct 2011

Even though Halloween isn't for another week, Halloween has begun for me! I only meet with a majority of my classes once a week. So, in order to talk to each class about Halloween, I have to start early--especially since next Tuesday there isn't school.

For my 5th graders, I reviewed Halloween vocabulary with them. I was pleasantly surprised by how many words they remembered!

After reviewing, we played the game "Two Truths and a Lie." As the name suggests, in this game, students have to write three sentences--two are true and one is a lie. I asked my students to write Halloween themed sentences using the phrase "I like..." since this grammatical structure is what they are currently working on. Then, they worked in partners--asking "Do you like...?" until they found the lie. This enabled them to work with both 1st and 2nd person.

Next, I asked for volunteers to come to the front to demonstrate. After each person shared, I would ask the class, "What doesn't he/she like?" and "What does she/he like?" This allowed them to practice the difference between 3rd person singular and all the other forms--which is really key at this level. They are just starting to learn that 3rd person singular carries the -s.

I was really surprised to find that there were students that were practically begging me to let them have a turn. They were standing up in their chairs with their hands raised as high as they could.

No comments:

Post a Comment